1953: The society opened the Oldest Stone House Museum in an 1834 stone house saved from demolition.
1963: Active volunteer group created to give tours of the museum and provide school programs.
1975: Massive project stabilized the Oldest Stone House foundation and provided a basement, plumbing, climate control and museum store space.
1985: Society preserved the Nicholson House (ca. 1839) with the aid and support of the City of Lakewood. The home has been restored and is available for event rental.
1985: Women's Board organized to provide fundraising support for the society.
1992: Herb Society formed to provide maintenance of the herb garden and grounds.
1997: Margaret Manor Butler Endowment fund created to ensure the long-term financial security of the society.
2007: Lakewood Preservation Fund formed, allowing the society to proactively respond to preservation issues in the community.
Founded In Preservation
The Lakewood Historical Society was founded in 1952 by Margaret Manor Butler to preserve the history of Lakewood, Ohio and the Oldest Stone House, built for John Honam. Private and non-profit, the society continues to grow and thrive. The society actively promotes and preserves the history of our community through educational programs, interpretive displays and tours, the study and management of the society's archives, our research library, and artifact collection.
Typical education programs include the Ohio Heritage summer camp for children; public programs on Lakewood history, preservation and home maintenance; a biennial house tour to showcase the history and architecture in the community; school outreach programs; and traveling history trunks for use by classrooms and youth groups.
Our collection of over 14,000 images, extensive archives and research library are available to scholars and the general public.
The Lakewood Historical Society has active partnerships with organizations including Lakewood City Schools, Lakewood Public Library, Cleveland State University Library Special Collections, the City of Lakewood and neighboring historical societies and museums.
The society operates both the Oldest Stone House Museum and the Nicholson House. Our services and activities are accomplished by an Executive Director, Curator, Educator, twenty-three member Board of Trustees, the Women's Board and volunteers from our membership.
The society continually collects, preserves and interprets archival materials, photographs and artifacts that help tell the story of the history of Lakewood.