||The paired brackets and porthole-type windows at the
roofline, plus the porch columns, are all tell-tale signs of the Italianate
style. This structure most likely was built sometime in the 1870's. Ridgewood
Avenue, though, wasn't put through until 1905-6. This house had earlier
faced Detroit Avenue. It was the residence of George F. Marshall, a Lakewood
councilman and its treasurer during some of Lakewood's early years. This
house was turned to face Ridgewood, after Marshall's death in 1904.
This was a provision included in the transfer of the deed to the property
recorded in the County Auditor's Office on July 18, 1904. The house was
a duplex no later than 1913.