|Lakewood thrived throughout the latter half
of the 19th century via fruit-farming. The Hall family were among the more
significant of Lakewood's prosperous fruit-farmers. The Curtis Hall house
is one of the two Hall homesteads still standing. Built in 1864, it has
since all but disappeared from view due mostly to a commercial building
erected in its front-yard and additional shops grafted onto its Cranford
Avenue side. Some windows and its front-porch have suffered, as well, but
the flat roof with its wide overhang, and the decorative brackets and small
windows just below the roofline (all typical features of the 'Italianate'
style) remain as they were. See Page 22 of
Lakewood: the First One Hundred
Years for two 'vintage' views of this house.