11. 1435 Cohassett

Start OverForwardBack
This house, built in 1904 for John Kirby, has perhaps Lakewood's most distinctive facade. Gothic-arched windows and Flemish-influenced dormers are just some of the heady mix of features that make this house so visually tantalizing. It cannot possibly be all taken in at a mere glance. This house was designed by architect George Kauffman, who had a reputation for very atypical, "quirky" sorts of designs. At least two other houses on this block are Kauffman-designs, as was the now-gone house of Nelson Cotabish (once Lakewood Mayor), which was located on Detroit at the southwest corner of Cohassett.

This is the end of the driving-tour. From this point, through, you may wish to conduct a walking-tour of Cohassett, and the adjacent Grace and Clarence avenues, largely in the blocks bounded by Detroit and Franklin. The Cohassett Avenue development was begun in 1903. The Grace and Clarence development was begun in 1892. The latter two streets were named after a daughter and son of the developer, Ezra Nicholson. These three streets are full of elegant "cottages" built during the turn-of-the-century. Most fortunately retain their original architectural character.