1. EAST ROCKPORT CENTRAL SCHOOL, 1456 Warren

Start OverForwardBack
Lakewood was first settled very early in the 19th-century. Before taking on the name Lakewood upon the occasion of becoming a hamlet (1889), the community was known as East Rockport. We appropriately start our driving-tour at the only public school building remaining from that era, the East Rockport Central School. As most buildings designed for institutional purposes, it is a largely undistinguished brick building. It does have tall windows, with sandstone heads and sills, and most importantly the words "East Rockport Central School" and "1879" (its year of construction) carved in sandstone blocks above the central second-floor windows and the main entranceway, respectively. It is presently being used, with the adjacent school building constructed in 1899, as the offices of the Lakewood Board of Education.